Eyelash Extension Care and Maintenance
Here are the Eyelash Extension Golden Rules:
- The less your extensions are touched, the longer they will last.
- For the first 24-48 hours: Avoid moisture, steam, sauna, and eye make-up.
- Every evening after 24-48 hours: Cleanse with OcuSoft Eyelid Cleanser (purchase at our studio) or an OIL-FREE eye make-up remover. (PS. If you have to shake it – it’s probably NOT oil free) and LINT FREE wands to remove all debris/make-up/remains of the day from your lash line. (remember the 1mm space: we need to keep it clean and exfoliated to avoid any issues).
- After you cleanse your face, use your mascara wand (spoolie) to groom your lash extensions. Comb through from your eye brows down to your cheek as not to break the adhesive bond.
- Do not pull on your extensions. We need to have a natural lash to adhere your extensions.
- If an extension is turning in the wrong direction: cut it – don’t pull it. It’s better to have a blunt edge than to lose a natural lash.
- Avoid any long-wearing, waterproof eye liners and mascaras. (if it is a day or two before your next fill in and you absolutely must use mascara – please apply to the TIPS only and remove every evening). The oils in the long-wearing, waterproof eye liners and mascaras impede and degrade the adhesive bond causing your extensions to fall out faster.
- Avoid all products around the eyes which contain Glycols, Alcohols, and Oils.
- Be sure to inform massage therapist and esthetician know you are waring eyelash extensions. Do not allow them to use cream or oil-based products over your eyelash extensions. Ash them to use LINT FREE eye pads over your eyes when they are performing steam and/or facial massage services.
- Avoid intense heat and steam (be careful in tanning beds too).
- For our side sleepers, here is a SATIN pillow we like to preserve your eyelash extensions during your beauty sleep (purchase from us) or for our stomach sleepers some clients have had luck with the sleep mask.
- Be aware we all have a natural hair shedding cycle and lose 3-5 natural lashes daily. No worries-it’s totally natural. You may notice them more now because they have an extension attached to them.
- DO NOT use an eyelash curler on your extensions – it will break the adhesive bond and your extensions will fall off.
- Schedule a touch-up appointment every 2-3 weeks to maintain a beautiful, cohesive look to your extensions.
Our goal is to have your lashes look FULL and BEAUTIFUL!
We strive to have our appointment end with you receiving 100 lashes/eye within our appointment time.
However, we may experience more shedding some times than others. Possible factors could be:
- Travel (Airlines are notorious for dry air – which could dry out our bond)
- New Medications (The chemistry in our bodies change, and could cause our hair to change too)
- Excessive Exercise/perspiration (This could erode the lash bond due to sebaceous (oil) and sudoriferous (sweat) staying on the bond too long) We do have a solution! Our Protective Coating helps).
- Hormones/Monthly Cycle (Due to chemistry, we could loose more frequently during “that time” Also, if we are low in Estrogen or Progesterone, this could also affect our retention.
- General seasonal shedding. Happens 2-3 times/year. Typically lasts about 4-6 weeks.
- General cleaning. Be gentle when washing our lashes. They are bonded, but they are delicate.
Based on the data we’ve collected, we’ve created a typical Range of Retention. Please keep in mind we naturally shed 3-5 lashes per day. Depending on our individual factors, you may retain amazingly or you may shed more frequently.
Range of Retention based on 100 lashes per eye:
2 weeks average retention range: 60-100 lashes per eye
3 weeks average retention range: 40-59 lashes per eye
4 weeks average retention range: 20-39 lashes per eye
Less than 19 lashes per eye, please allow us time to apply a full set.
If your results are slightly lower, and if we have time, we will offer you more time for a fee. This fee will depend on your service, typically we offer an additional 15 minutes for $15.00.
Please know, during your scheduled appointment time, we strive to restore your lashes to our goal of 100 extensions per eye. If you’ve noticed you are in need of extra TLC, please text us ahead of time so we can try to accommodate an extended appointment. If we have it, we will give it to you! If we do not have time, we have 1-week appointments available to give you a little extra glam – or we can add time on to your next appointment. Whichever works best for you! It is our pleasure to accommodate your request and keep our retention consistent. We love making your lashes look beautiful!